We make auctions easy and simple for both producers and buyers.
Create an account and explore our microlot auctions. We have different dates and times for our auctions so don’t forget to apply to bid for each auction and order your samples!
What we do
We all have a shared value of increasing the sustainability of our industry. Now is the time for us to do something about it.
Sensible Coffee is an auction platform that:
producers with buyers worldwide
value at both ends of the supply chain
and transparent pricing
discovery and relationships
How it works
Sensible Coffee is designed to make auctions easy and simple. We provide support at both ends of the supply chain to ensure our platform is accessible for both producers and buyers.
We cup, grade and distribute coffee samples whilst facilitating shipping, logistics and pre-financing. This makes discovery and connection throughout the coffee chain easy, allowing producers and buyers to trade green coffee with confidence.
Producers submit samples of fresh crop 84+ point coffee to the platform
Coffee is cupped, scored and analysed by our in-house Q Graders before being scheduled for auction
Buyers can browse our up-coming auctions and order samples to taste before they bid
Coffees are auctioned with each lot awarded to the highest bidder
PSS samples are sent from the producer to the buyer while we facilitate contract, logistics, shipping and pre-finance as needed
Coffees that don’t sell at auction are placed into our secondary blind auction. This gives the opportunity for buyers to submit blind bids to a seller, allowing for a secondary window for producers to find a home for their coffee.
Fair and Accurate Pricing
Created through the common value of cup score and private values of the individual
Connection & Value
Between sellers and buyers finding the most appropriate buyer for each coffee
Mitigates fluctuating markets creating a more stable, quality-driven model.
Sell, buy and discover coffee from anywhere in the world without the need to travel
Informing the seller about real-time quality, price and market viability
An auction works well as it is a space where both shared common values and individual private values are combined. This allows the individual to express their own value for a coffee alongside the shared indicator of cup score.
For each lot auctioned on Sensible Coffee:
sets their Reserve Price based on their production cost.
(private selling value)
sets a Guide Price based on cup score.
sets their Bidding Price based on individual utility.
(private buying value)
Incorporating these values together on one platform not only creates a fair and mutual model of trade, but allows value to be exercised in a way not possible in other more traditional avenues.
The result is more appropriate connections between sellers and buyers and, therefore, higher value generation at both ends of the coffee chain.
Why Sensible Coffee
We have been operating small volume Specialty Coffee Microlot auctions over the last 7 years. Based in Brighton, UK, today we are recognised as the experts in online coffee auction software and have a global client base spanning 5 continents reliably managing $millions of green coffee sales on our platforms every year.
Working with some of the best producers in the world we have helped bring some of the most exclusive and exciting coffees to market, often breaking the world record for the highest priced coffee.
Our experience gives us:
- Expert understanding of the global coffee marketplace
- A wide reach and audience at both ends of the supply chain
- The ability to create effective marketing, branding and storytelling
- An unparalleled understanding of online auction systems
We use our expertise to create direct routes to market for producers and generate more value for their coffees. Our goal is to use our auctions to help develop sustainable and repeatable trade in coffee.
Are you a producer or an exporter?
- Showcase: Present your green coffee to a range of buyers across the world
- Discover: Broaden your audience and find new values with the most appropriate buyers for your coffee
- Engage: Market your work through our email and social media campaign
- Relationships: Build and develop sustainable relationships directly with buyers
- Quality Feedback: Receive immediate and relevant quality feedback on your coffee
- Autonomy: Set your own reserve prices, discover your own routes to market and build your own relationships
- Broadcast: Promote your story, your farm and your coffee to an engaged audience of buyers
Are you a coffee buyer or roaster?
- Discover: Find new and exciting coffee from across the world
- Fresh: access fresh crop coffee shipped directly from origin
- Connect: work with the producers and coffees that are right for your business
- Easy: order multiple samples from the same farms, auctions, origins or type easily and affordably
- Exclusive: Find rare coffees and exclusive relationships for you and your business
- Relationships: Turn auction purchases into long-term direct relationships with producers
- Accessible: bid on coffee from anywhere in the world and use our import, financing and shipping services to help you bring your coffee home